Sicilian Whole Orange Cake
This Sicilian Whole Orange Cake is a delicious and unique dessert that is sure to impress. It is made with whole oranges, which are boiled and then blended into a cake batter. The cake is then baked until golden and served with a dusting of powdered sugar. The combination of the sweet oranges and the light and fluffy cake make this a truly special treat.
– 2 large oranges
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 2 large eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup orange juice
– Powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. Place the oranges in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour. Drain and let cool.
3. Once cooled, cut the oranges in half and remove the seeds. Place the oranges in a blender and blend until smooth.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and orange juice.
6. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
7. Add the blended oranges and mix until just combined.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
10. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
– Calories: 250
– Fat: 9g
– Carbohydrates: 37g
– Protein: 4g
– Sodium: 200mg
– Fiber: 2g