Sweet and Sour Chickpeas, Peppers, and Broccoli. Easy Weeknight One Pot Protein filled Meal. Serve with cooked rice/grains. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar I use 2 tbsp sugar and 2 or more tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce use certified gluten-free tamari to make gf
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 2 tbsp water
Chickpeas and Veggies:
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 (0.5 ) green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup (91 g) small broccoli florets
- 15 oz (425.24 g) chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- a generous dash of salt black pepper, cayenne
- To thicken
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp cornstarch or other starch
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside. You can also add them directly to the pan at step 5.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the peppers and mix in. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and mix in. Cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas, sauce ingredients, a generous dash of salt, black pepper and cayenne. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Taste the sauce carefully and adjust to preference. Add more sour, sugar or salt.
- Mix cornstarch in room temperature water and add the mixture to the pan. Mix in. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and scallions and serve with cooked rice or grains of choice.