Delicious and easy, this Raspberry Filling for Cakes is perfectly tart and sweet and spreads beautifully between layers of white or chocolate cake. It also keeps well in the frig or freezes well for weeks.
- 4 cups of frozen raspberries
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- In a small pot, add the raspberries, sugar, 1/4 cup water, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and using a sieve, strain out the seeds. I use a silicone spatula to press the mixture into the sieve to squeeze out all of the juice into a bowl and leave the seeds.
- Pour the syrup back into the pot.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup water bowl until dissolved.
- Whisk it into the raspberry mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil again, stirring constantly to prevent sticking and scorching. Turn the heat down and continue cooking until thickened, about 5 minutes. If you prefer a thicker filling, you can add more cornstarch/water mixture a teaspoon at a time until the desire thickness.
- Cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. I prefer overnight.