Recipe for Old Fashion Butterscotch Pie with easy to follow directions. Few ingredients and simple to make. Love those old fashioned recipes
For the Pie
- 1 refrigerated Pie Crust I use the one in the red box
- 8 tbsp Good Quality Butter
- 1 ½ Cups dark brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks save the whites for the meringue
- 5 ½ Tbs all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ Cups scalded milk
For the Meringue
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract. Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350. Measure out all of the ingredients and have placed nearby ready to add in at the appropriate time. Place the pie crust into a 9inch pie plate and flute the edges to hold the pie. Prick holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork and place on the middle rack in the oven and prebake the shell for 15 minutes. When done, remove from the oven and set aside. Leave the oven on 350 when you remove the pie crust.
- While the crust is baking, set out 2 sauce pots (one small and one medium) on the stove top and also a double broiler with the bottom filled with water. Start heating the water on high until water comes to a boil. When it comes to a boil, place the top pan of the boiler on top and cut the heat to medium – the water beneath should still boil – but at a lower level.
- When the crust is baking and the water is heating in the bottom of the double broiler, Place the milk in the small sauce pot and heat over medium heat until just about to boil – make sure to stir frequently so as not to burn the milk.
- In the medium sized sauce pot, while the crust is baking, the milk heating and the water in the double broiler is heating, melt the stick of butter over medium heat and then remove from the heat. Add the sugar and then stir in the egg yolks, flour, salt. When the milk almost boils, add it to this mixture. Set it back on the burner on medium and while stirring, bring it back to a boil. (By this time, the double boiler should be boiling).
- Pour this butterscotch filling into the top of your double broiler and cook stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. It will thicken some and turn a little darker colored. After 15 minutes. Pour this pie filling into the prebaked pie crust.
- For the meringue, pour the meringue ingredients into the bowl of your mixer and mix on a medium speed until the egg whites become HUGE and fluffy. When you are able to take a spoon and easy lift into a peak – the meringue will be a glossy white – then it is ready. Gently pour this meringue onto the pie filling that you have put into the crust. Pile it on high and using your spoon, swirl the meringue around a little and lift into little curly ques so that it browns nicely when you bake it
- Bake the whole pie at 350 for about 15 minutes , until the meringue peaks are a nice brown on the top.