- homemade nut-free pie crust or store-bought crust (see notes for an almond crust recipe)
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin puree
- ½ cup heavy cream OR full-fat canned coconut milk OR (nut) milk of choice
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar, optional for a sweeter pie
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground fennel
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
Cardamom Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (or canned coconut cream)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (or honey)
- 4 green cardamom pods, discard shell and crush seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the pumpkin pie filling ingredients (including chai spices) in a bowl and mix well. Pour this filling into either a homemade pie crust or a store-bought crust.
- Bake the pie for 60-65 minutes, checking on the pie periodically to make sure the crust isn’t getting too brown (if it looks brown, cover it with foil and continue to bake).
- Remove the pie from the oven. The filling should look mostly set but it’s okay if the center wiggles a bit as the pie will continue to cook as it cools.
- Allow the pie to cool for a couple hours then serve with whipped cream. If making the pie in advance, loosely cover and keep in the fridge for 3-4 days or tightly cover and keep in the freezer for up to two months.
How to make cardamom whipped cream:
- Pour the cream, powdered sugar and crushed cardamom seeds into a stand mixer (or use a hand-held electric mixer) and whisk on medium-high speed for 4-5 minutes, or until you see peaks form.
Read More Recipes klik myheartbeets.com