This soft and fluffy lemon blueberry cake is a show-stopper of a dessert. Light and lemony, the ultra-moist cake is perfect with the whipped lemon frosting.
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 8 ounces) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups (13 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 4 large eggs (7 ounces), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (12.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (storebought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 3 lemons)
- 2 cups (12 ounces) fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
WHIPPED LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups (18 ounces) powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Fresh lemon slices
- Fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of two 9-inch round cake pans with at least 2-inch sides with parchment paper and coat with nonstick cooking spray (see note above for pan variations). Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer (or in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment), cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy, 4-5 minutes (don’t cut down the time on this step).
- Add the eggs and vanilla until well-combined, 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Stir the dry mixture into the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined and a few dry streaks remain.
- Add the buttermilk and lemon juice to the batter, and stir by hand, folding the batter until just combined.
Full Reading : https://www.melskitchencafe.com/