- 1 cup split and dehusked black lentils (also known as split hulled urad dal), rinse and soak in water for 2 hours
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 green chili, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped red onion, to taste
- 2 green chilies, chopped, to taste
- Lemon wedges
- Soak the split white lentils for 2 hours. Drain, rinse and set aside for now.
- Press saute, add oil and once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When the cumin seeds brown, add the onion and green chili and saute for 8-10 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the garlic, stir, then add the lentils, water, spices and mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook at high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Naturally release pressure (takes approx. 15 minutes).
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, onion and green chilies and lemon.
Read More Recipes klik myheartbeets.com