- 2 pounds boneless lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1–2 green chilis, minced, to taste
- 4 teaspoons coriander powder
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground fennel
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups long-grain basmati rice, rinsed (we’re cooking longer, no need to soak)
- 2 cups water
- Cilantro, chopped, to taste
- Mint, chopped, to taste
- Ghee-coated cashews and golden raisins (see directions below)
- Add the lamb and all of the ingredients listed under “marinade” together in the bottom of the instant pot and mix well. Let this sit on the counter for 20 minutes. (20 minutes is enough time for the lamb to marinate and it will also allow the meat to come to room temperature).
- Spread the rinsed rice so that it is in a thin layer overtop the marinated meat. Pour the water into the pot, pushing down the rice if needed so that it is submerged. Do not mix.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve, and cook for 6 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure (this will take approx. 30-35 minutes).
- Mix well then sprinkle mint, cilantro, and ghee-coated cashews and raisins before serving.
To make ghee-coated cashews and raisins:
- Melt 2 tablespoons ghee in a small pot over medium heat, add ⅓ cup of halved cashews, stir-fry for a minute or until lightly golden, then add 2 tablespoons raisins and stir-fry until they plump up.
- You can marinate the lamb longer if you’d like – just let it come to room temp for 20 minutes prior to adding the rice and cooking.
- You cannot substitute goat meat for lamb. Goat meat requires a longer cook time than lamb.
- I use and love aahu barah basmati rice for my biryani recipes. The type/brand of basmati that you use can make a big difference – this brand keeps its shape, remains separate, and is wonderfully fragrant.
Read More Recipes klik myheartbeets.com