This is a great way to make dal for the whole family because the tadka is so easy to adapt to taste and spice preference. I usually make a spicy tadka for me, my husband and our toddler (that’s the tadka I’ve shared here) and a much simpler tadka for my infant. Also, feel free to switch up the tadka to give this dal some variety, especially if you end up making it often.
- ½ cup yellow moong dal, soaked for 15 minutes
- ½ cup red masoor dal (red lentils), soaked for 15 minutes
- 3 ½ cups water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
To make PIP (Pot-in-Pot) Rice:
- 1 cup rice, soaked for 15 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 green chili
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
Everyday Dal and Rice (PIP)
- Soak dal in water for 15 minutes. If making rice, also soak for 15 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Put the dal ingredients into the instant pot.
- If making rice, place the rice ingredients into an oven-safe container. Place a trivet into the pot with the dal, and then place the oven-safe container on top of the trivet.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 6 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then open the valve to release any remaining pressure.
How to Make Tadka:
- Add ghee to a small pot or pan on the stove and once the ghee is hot, add the cumin and mustard seeds. When the cumin seeds turn brown, add the green chilies stir for a minute then add the spices. Stir this into the cooked dal immediately prior to serving.
Read More Recipes klik myheartbeets.com