- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas, soaked for 3 hours
- 1 pound gold potatoes (approx 3), peeled, leave whole
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur (dried mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon black salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1–2 green chilis, minced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped red onions (green onions or regular onions work too)
- 3 tablespoons tamarind chutney
- 3 tablespoons green chutney
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves, optional
- Handful of pomegranate arils, to taste (can also use diced mango!)
- Handful of sev (besan noodles), to taste
- Red onion, chopped
- Serve with additional chutney, optional
- Add the drained black-eyed peas, whole peeled potatoes, and water to the instant pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 10 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then open the valve to release remaining pressure.
- Remove the potatoes and allow them to cool. Once cool, chop them and set aside for now.
- Add the spices to the beans and mix well.
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a bowl, then stir the dressing into the beans.
- Gently stir the chopped potatoes into the beans and allow it to all sit for 5 minutes (if there’s any water remaining in the pot, it’ll get absorbed).
- Serve warm or at room temp and garnish with pomegranate arils, sev, red onion and cilantro just before serving.
Make sure to taste the chaat and add additional salt if needed. Different chutneys have different levels of salt, so you may decide to add more. Chaat should be tangy and salty 🙂
Also, I’ve added green chutney and tamarind chutney to the dressing but feel free to serve this chaat with additional bowls of chutney as well as extra toppings! That way people can add what they like to their bowls (I tend to go heavy-handed on the crispy sev, lol).
Read More Recipes klik myheartbeets.com