Sweet potato ground turkey chili is a healthy and quick gluten free dinner recipe that is full of black beans, corn, and lots of chili flavor!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion coarsely chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey 93/7
- 4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika can use smoked paprika if you prefer
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes canned
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 15 oz. sweet whole kernel corn canned, drained
- 15 oz. black beans canned, drained
- Tortilla chips optional
- Cilantro optional
- Sour cream optional
- Cooked rice optional
- In a large saucepan, or large shallow pot, drizzle olive oil. Add onions and saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Push onions to the side and add ground turkey. Continue cooking over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until turkey is almost cooked through.
- Add sweet potatoes and saute for another 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Pour crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and pre-mixed seasoning ingredients into the chili mixture. Mix chili thoroughly and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add drained corn and black beans. Cover and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Check to see if sweet potatoes are fork-tender before serving. If you would like a slightly thicker chili, mash some of the sweet potatoes to help thicken it.
- Serve chili over rice with corn chips, cilantro and sour cream and enjoy!