When you say you are making ‘Funeral Potatoes’ most folks know exactly what you are talking about. They are pure comfort food and that’s how they got the name. Often when someone passes, we all just want to do something for those who are grieving. Most of the time we just don’t know what to do other than pray and be there, right? Maybe help clean their house, do some laundry and make sure they have all the food they need. And this is one of those foods that many folks have made in a time of need.
- 1 (28 oz) package frozen cubed O’Brien potatoes, thawed
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tbsp dried chives
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups crushed potato chips
- 3 tbsp salted butter, melted
- Place potatoes into refrigerator to thaw out overnight. Or place on counter to thaw for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375f degrees. Spray an 11×7 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (you can also use a 9×13 baking dish.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the thawed potatoes with seasonings and cheese. Then stir in cream of chicken soup and sour cream.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish.