Homemade, veggie filled falafel, combined with turmeric infused golden rice, all stuffed inside fresh naan and topped with a “special” sauce. A fun, delicious, and different weeknight dinner!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Servings: 6 Servings
• GOLDEN RICE
• 2 tablespoons salted butter
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
• 1 cup long grain rice
• 1 cup chopped veggies, such as carrots, cauliflower, or broccoli
• 1 can (16 ounces) chickpeas, drained + rinsed
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour. Use a gluten free flour, if needed
• 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
• 2 cloves garlic, grated
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, parsley, or oregano
• kosher salt and black pepper
• canola or vegetable oil, for frying
• 6 fresh naan or pitas, warmed
• shredded lettuce, cucumbers, and harissa sauce, for serving
• SPECIAL SAUCE
• 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
• 2 teaspoons honey
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• To make the rice. Melt the butter, turmeric, and crushed red pepper flakes in a medium pot over high heat. Add the rice and toss to coat. Stir in 2 cups water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to the lowest setting possible. Allow the rice to cook ten minutes on low and then turn the heat off completely. Let the rice sit, covered, for another 15 minutes (don’t take any peeks inside!). Fluff the rice with a fork.
• To make the falafel. Add the veggies to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the chickpeas, flour, sesame seeds, garlic, cumin, cilantro, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Pulse until the mixture is combined and mostly smooth. Roll the dough into rounded teaspoon size balls.
• Add a few inches of oil to the bottom of a heavy pot. Heat to 375 degrees F. Fry the balls for 2-3 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Drain onto paper towels and then sprinkle lightly with salt.
• . . .
• . . .
Read More this full recipes at falafel naan wraps with golden rice and special sauce.