Homemade Minestrone Soup – the perfect easy comforting meal on a chilly day. Best of all, this classic stove-top recipe is hearty & full of fresh vegetables like carrots, zucchini, celery, tomatoes and beans. A delicious vegan recipe & simple to customize with gluten free and low carb options. #soup #minestrone #glutenfree #lowcarb #vegan #minestronesoup #easy #stovetop #recipe
- 1 small onion , about 1/3 cup, diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 medium carrot (about 1 cup) , chopped
- 1 large celery stalk (about 1 cup) , chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 32 oz can diced tomatoes , (I usually use fire-roasted or Italian-style)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (32 oz carton – 4 cups) low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium zucchini (around 2/3 cups) , sliced into halves or quarters
- 1/4 cup canned or cooked red kidney beans , drained and rinsed (leave out for paleo & low carb)
- 1/4 cup canned or cooked cannellini beans, chickpeas OR great northern beans , drained and rinsed (leave out for paleo & low carb)
- water – add only as much as needed to cover vegetables
- 1/4 cup dried small shell pasta , (use gluten free if necessary)(leave out for paleo & low carb and add chopped cauliflower & green beans instead))
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach chopped , optional
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar , optional but adds great flavor
- Shredded or grated Parmesan cheese , for serving
- Fresh parsley finely chopped , for garnish (optional)
- In a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery and saute for about 4 minutes, or until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add basil, oregano and thyme and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, vegetable broth and both of the beans. Depending on how large your pot is, add just enough water to cover the vegetables.