Three ingredients. Ten minutes. Simple, fast, delicious. These spicy and crispy little kumara cakes will make you smile.
- 1/2 a large orange kumara (sweet potato), (approximately 300g)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, (optional – my curry powder is mild and I wanted to kick this up a notch)
- Oil of your choice, for frying
- Peel and grate the kumara into a mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, spices, a good grind of pepper and salt to season. Mix well.
- Heat a little oil to medium heat in a large frypan. Squeeze handfuls of kumara mixture together then flatten into a pattie shape and pop in the frypan. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, flip and cook the other side until golden. Don’t be tempted to flip them too early otherwise they’ll break – let that first side get good and golden to hold them together.
- Serve with green cashew sauce, hummus or mayo/aioli and some crisp salad greens. If you eat eggs, a poached free range egg or two wouldn’t go amis