Banana Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Nutella Swirl & Glaze is a moist, decadent, scrumptious bundt cake that’s guaranteed to be a hit!
For the cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (for a total of 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 cup plain yogurt OR 1 cup sour cream OR a combination of the two
- 12 ounces mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
For the cake:
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Generously coat a 9- to 10-inch (12 cup) Bundt pan with cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla and mashed bananas, mixing until everything is well incorporated.
- Turn mixer down to low and stir in half of the flour mixture, followed by all of the yogurt/sour cream and then the remaining flour mixture. Add chocolate chips to batter and mix until just incorporated, taking care not to overbeat.
- Remove one-third of the batter into a small bowl and stir 1/4 cup Nutella into it.
- In the prepared Bundt pan, layer half of the plain banana batter, all of the Nutella batter, and finally the remaining plain batter. Use a knife to swirl through the batter several times, taking care not to scratch your pan. Whack the pan on the countertop to remove any air bubbles and smooth the top if necessary.
- Place cake in preheated oven and check at the 30-minute mark. If the top is browning too quickly, carefully tent it with foil for the remainder of the baking time. Bake for a total of 65 to 75 minutes, and then use a wooden skewer to test for doneness. If cake is still gooey in the middle, continue baking and checking every five minutes.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow it to rest on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before turning it out onto the rack. Allow cake to cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap until you’re ready to glaze and serve.
For the glaze:
- Add Nutella, milk, and powdered sugar to a small pot and set over low heat. Stir until mixture is warm and smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.
- For best results, make sure that all ingredients (butter, eggs, yogurt/sour cream) are at room temperature.
- It is normal for the batter to appear curdled upon adding the bananas. It will smooth out after the dry ingredients are mixed in.
- Be sure that your Nutella is well-stirred and smooth before adding it to the cake batter.
- My cake baked for a total of 85 minutes before it tested done, and it was still very moist when we ate it.
- Sifting the powdered sugar for the glaze is important unless you want tiny lumps in your glaze. Still tasty but not as pretty!