- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons black or brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon urad dal, optional
- 15 curry leaves
- 2 dried red chilies (break in half), optional
- 1–2 green chilis, minced
- ¼ teaspoon hing
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 cans)
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- ½ cup grated coconut (can find this at your local Indian grocery store)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon wedges, serving
- Heat oil in a dutch oven (heavy-bottomed pot) over medium heat and once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and urad dal and cook until the dal turns light gold.
- Add curry leaves, dried red chiles, green chili, hing, and stir, then add chickpeas, grated coconut and salt, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add lemon juice, stir, then pour into a bowl and serve with lemon wedges.
This recipe is part of my new “chickpea series.” Cook a big batch of dried chickpeas (see this blog post), and try one of my recipes that calls for cooked chickpeas! You can also use canned chickpeas but dried beans taste better.
Read More Recipes klik myheartbeets.com