A terrific fridge and pantry forage meal, made with your choice of dried noodles, a simple but tasty stir fry sauce and whatever veggies you can scrape together. This is loaded with veggies and light on the noodles, and if you cook it for more than 5 minutes, it’s overcooked!! This is a super quick midweek stir fry that is really tasty
CHICKEN (NOTE 1):
- 150 – 180 g/ 5 – 6 oz chicken breast , cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp cornflour / cornstarch (optional)
- 1 tsp oil (peanut, vegetable, canola) (optional)
SAUCE (OR USE MY HOMEMADE STIR FRY SAUCE, STEP 2):
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce (or sub with Hoisin)
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce (Note 2)
- 1/2 tsp each sesame oil, sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Shoaxing wine) OR Mirin (Note 3)
- 1/4 tsp white pepper (or black pepper)
- 3 tbsp water
- 100 g / 3.5 oz dried rice noodles (Note 4)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped (Note 5)
- 1 small onion , sliced (white, brown, yellow)
- 1/2 bunch choy sum or other Asian greens , stems separated from leaves (Note 6)
- 1/2 red capsicum / bell pepper , sliced
- 1 carrot , peeled, cut in half lengthwise and sliced on the diagonal
- 5 – 7 mushrooms , sliced
- Sesame seeds and finely sliced green onions/scallions , optional
- Mix chicken, cornstarch and oil in a bowl.
- Mix Sauce ingredients in a bowl. OR use 3 tbsp Homemade Stir Fry Sauce + 6 tbsp water.
- Just before cooking, soak noodles in hot water per packet directions, then drain. (Note 7)
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Add garlic and onion, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken, cook for 1 minute until it changes colour from pink to white.
- Add carrot, Choy Sum stems and capsicum. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add noodles, Choy Sum leaves and Sauce. Toss for 1 minute until leaves have wilted and Sauce has evaporated. Don’t toss for more then 1 1/2 minutes – noodles may break.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions then serve immediately.