Rich, gooey, dark, healthy, gluten free, chocolate almond butter brownies!
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup softened almond butter OR allergy-friendly sub
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- loosely packed 1/2 cup rolled oats (or 1/3 cup almond flour or flour of choice)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line an 8-inch pan with parchment paper or grease well, and set aside. Process the oats in a food processor or blender until very fine, then stir all ingredients together until smooth. (If you use a very dry almond butter, you may need to add 2 tbsp milk of choice for a thinner batter.) Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth out with a spatula or another sheet of parchment. It will look thin, but the batter will rise in the oven. If desired, press some chocolate chips into the top. Bake 15 minutes on the center rack – they should look underdone when you take them out. Let them sit at least a 1/2 hour if you want them extra gooey, or overnight for the perfect firm-yet-soft brownies. The flavor is sweeter and richer the next day if you can wait to try them!